The Adelphi Cinema is a Grade II listed building and is located in Sheffield, South Yorkshire.
The cinema was built in 1920, designed by the architect William C. Fenton, featuring red brick and terracotta enhancements. The interior consisted of stalls, with a circle level above. The cinema had a huge seating capacity of 1,350. The projection room was at the back of the stalls.
During World War II the building suffered repeated bomb damage. After the war, in 1946, it was restored to its former glory.
The last movies shown at the cinema, were 'The Karate Killers' and 'The Rounders' on the 28th of October 1976.
The Adelphi followed the trends, becoming a bingo hall when these became popular and more profitable than an independent cinema. As bingo waned and fell out of favour, it closed in 1995. The cinema became a night club and a live venue for bands, until it again closed in 2006. It now sits derelict and empty, with an uncertain future.