Bardney Abbey is a Benedictine abbey located in Bardney, Lincolnshire.
The abbey was founded in 697 by King Æthelred of Mercia who became the first abbot. Unfortunately it was destroyed by a Danish raid in 869. Gilbert de Gant of Lincoln, refounded the abbey 1087, and it regained the status of an abbey in 1115.
Six monks were executed for their role in the Lincolnshire Rising in 1537, dissolution followed. The property was granted to Sir Robert Tirwhit. He converted the abbots lodging into a house and the cloister became a garden. Eventually these buildings fell into ruin along with the rest of the abbey. The site was completely stone mined, only leaving the foundations.
Excavations in 1909 - 14 revealed the layout of the abbey which can still be seen, especially from the air. Some of the grave stones and carvings are preserved in Bardney Abbey.