Beverley Friary is a Grade II listed Dominican friary, now a youth hostel, located in Beverly, Yorkshire.
The first friary was built in 1210 by the Dominican order, they were given an area of land close to Beverley Minster by the Archbishop of York who was the lord of Beverley. On this site the Blackfriars built their first friary, thought to have been from timber then stone at a later date.
The friary flourished and was extended in the early 14th century with various extensions including accommodations for guests. Although by the end of the 14th century and the next 150 years it fell into gradual decline.
In 1539, the Dissolution of the Monasteries act came to Beverley and the friars were expelled and the property wrecked. Many of the buildings were pulled down with the material sold to be used elsewhere. The guest house escaped the demolition.
In 1544, the guest house was sold to John Pope and Anthony Foster. It was later sold to the Wharton family and then to Earls of Yarborough. In 1826, it was acquired by Richard Whiting whose family continued to own part of the property until 1960. The remainder of the friary was used for a variety of purposes. In the 19th century much of it was built over for the railway line between Hull and Bridlington.
The guest house became three separate houses, numbers 7, 9 and 11 Friary Lane until 1960. Armstrong Patents Co ltd acquired the buildings, they owned the adjacent factory, in 1962 Armstrong applied for permission to demolish the buildings. The application was refused and the houses made the subject of a preservation order with preservation work commencing in 1974. Within the westernmost building a number of painted wall plasters dating from about the time of the Dissolution were discovered during the restoration work. A panelled room in the building is dated to the late 16th or early 17th century.
The buildings are now owned by East Riding of Yorkshire Council who maintain the buildings with the assistance of the Beverley Friary Preservation Trust. In 1984 the buildings were rented to YHA of England and Wales who opened a youth hostel on the site.