Bolton Abbey is located in Wharfedale, close to Skipton, North Yorkshire.
The abbey was originally founded in 1120 at Embsay, but was moved when the Augustinian order took it over in 1154. The new land near the River Wharfe was donated to them by Lady Alice de Romille of Skipton Castle.
The nave of the abbey church is used as the parish church and has been since 1170. It survived the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Building work was still ongoing in 1540 when the abbey was dissolved. All work stopped and the east end soon became ruined. A tower that was stared in 1520 was left half standing, later it was given a bell turret and converted into the church entrance porch. The church was restored in the Victorian era, August Pugin designed the windows.
In the early 14th century, the abbey fell victim to Scottish raiders, who sacked the site, causing serious damage.