Bridlington is a coastal town, located on the Holderness coast, in East Yorkshire. The origins of the town are unknown, but the area was habituated during the Bronze Age and in Roman times.
In 1133, Walter de Gant founded an Augustinian priory at Bridlington. King Stephen granted the priory permission to build a port and King John allowed them to hold a weekly market and annual fair in 1200.
In 1415, King Henry V visited the priory and gave thanks for his victory at the Battle of Agincourt. The town was growing around the priory and became important in the area for its harbour and trade
The priory fell victim to the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1538. The church was then used as the parish church but then fell into decay. Only a third of the building was actually used by the congregation. From 1846 the parish began to raise funds to restore the church and it was partially re-roofed.
In 1643, Queen Henrietta Maria of France landed in Bridlington with troops to help support the Royalist's in the English Civil War.
Today Bridlington is a minor sea fishing port with a working harbour.