Canterbury Castle is a stone castle located in Canterbury, Kent.
The original motte and bailey castle was built in 1066 by William the Conqueror and is located in Dane John gardens. It is one of the three royal castles of Kent, the other two are Dover and Rochester castles. These were built to consolidate Williams claim to the throne.
Construction of the stone castle began in 1086 and was finished in 1120. With the continuing development of Dover castle, Canterbury castles importance was significantly reduced until it became a county prison. They were housed on the ground floor with only slits for lighting. A new gate house was built in the early 13th century as well as major repairs to the castles structure.
In 1380 the castle was attacked during the Peasant's revolt, prisoners released and County records burnt.
The castle passed into private hands in 1609, the upper sections were demolished in 1770, the bailey wall was removed for building material in 1792. The demolition of the castle was halted in 1825 as the remaining material of the keep became worthless.
The Canterbury Gas Light and Coke Company acquired the keep for storage and removed all of the internal walls. The City council took over the building in 1928 and opened it as a tourist attraction and heritage site.