Carsluith Castle is a ruined tower house located on the Wigtown Bay, close to Creetwon on the Galloway coast of south-west Scotland.
James Lindsay of Fairgirth, Chamberlain of Galloway acquired the land of Carsluith in 1460, it is thought he built the tower soon after but may have built it in the early 16th century. There may once have been a moat or pond between the castle and the road. His son was killed at Flodden in 1513 so the tower passed through his daughter to Richard Brown (Broun). The added a new stair tower to the north of the castle in the 1560's. Pre-shaped stone was bought and used at some point, sourced from a dissolved abbey, priory or church. These stand out as they are a different colour and one piece has what looks like religious symbols upon it.
The Browns, who were Roman Catholic, feuded with the Protestant McCulloch's of Barholm. John Brown was fined £40 when his son failed to appear on a charge of murdering the McCulloch laird of Barholm.
Gilbert Brown of Carsluith, was the last abbot of Sweetheart Abbey, near Dumfries, before the Protestant Reformation. It was alleged several times that Gilbert was sheltering Jesuit priests at Carsluith, in 1605 he was arrested for his Catholic sympathies then banished to France, where he became rector of the Scots College, Paris. He died in Paris in 1612
The Browns finally emigrated to India in 1748, and the castle has not been occupied since. In the early 19th century, new farm buildings were built on to the castle. Today the castle ruin itself is protected as a scheduled monument and now is in the care of Historic Environment Scotland and is open freely to the public.