Castle Hill is in the village of Bothamsall, close to Edwinstowe, Nottinghamshire. It is located at the west end of the village by the river Meden. The local road cuts through the north of the site.
Castle Hill is a mediaeval earthwork, a motte and bailey castle. The castle was probably built in the 11th century. The motte is circled by a ditch but the position of the bailey has been lost, plowed out for arable farming. Evidence of the bailey with slight traces remaining, are on the east side of the motte. Both the motte and bailey have been damaged by excavation in the past. It is thought the castle may have possibly been of adulterine origin, which means it was built without permission.
The motte was probably topped with wooden structure, built with readily available materials and without highly skilled labor, but with no evidence of being replaced with a stone keep. Wood was plentiful as it was located by Sherwood Forest. The bailey would typically contain a hall, stables for the horses and cattle, a chapel, and huts for the noblemen's servants. It is thought that Castle Hill was abandoned after the occupation of the country became more assured.
Bothamsall village before the Conquest of 1066 was the property of Earl Tostig, brother to the King Harold, and at Domesday was retained in the King’s hands and not granted to the neighbouring Norman barons, Roger de Boulli or Roger Pictavensis.