Castle Rising castle is located close to Kings Lynn in Norfolk south of the small village of Castle Rising which took its name from the castle.
The original castle was built on an Anglo-saxon village which included a stone church around 1070. In 1138 work started on a stone keep and a stone wall was built around the 12 acre site by William d'Aubigny, the 1st Earl of Arundel. It is thought that the keep was modeled on Norwich Castle and was rendered and whitewashed. It was also became a mint, making coins for a short period.
The castles earthworks were rebuilt and enlarged in the late 12th century as a result of the revolt of 1173 - 74 when Hugh Bigod, 1st Earl of Norfolk seized Norwich Castle during the rebellion. William returned from Normandy to meet Bigod in battle.
Queen Isabella of France lived in the castle from 1330 until she died in 1358. She was the mother of King Edward III and was exiled to the castle for assisting the the murder of King Edward II.
The Howard family took control of the castle in 1544 and have retained the castle to this day. The current owner is a direct descendant of William D'Albini II.
The castle has served many functions, including a hunting lodge, prison and has even housed a mental patient in the 18th century. Today it is in the care of English Heritage.