Castleton is a small village located in Hope Valley in the High Peak region of Derbyshire.
Castleton was mentioned in the Domesday Book,
as a village called Pechesers. It was part of William Peverel's estate which also included Bolsover and Glapwell.
The Norman church, built in the late 13th century, was restored in 1837. Castleton was also home to a leper hospital, although its location is unknown, it is thought to have been on the eastern boundary. The hospital may have been founded by the wife of William Peverel in the 1150's. It survived until 1543 when it is dissolved.
Castleton became wealthy from lead mining, various mines are located through out the area but the most famous one is Odin mine. The caverns at Castleton were found and enlarged as part of the mining process. Blue John, a rare semi-precious mineral, is a form of fluorite is only found at Blue John Cavern and Treak Cliff Cavern. It was mined in large quantities for its ornamental value, but is now almost mined out. These caverns, as well as Peak Cavern and Speedwell Cavern can be visited.
Today Castleton relies on tourists, but the main industry is now cement. Hope Cement Works has a quarry very close to Castleton.