Cemaes Bay is located on the northern coast of Anglesey on the site of an ancient settlement.
Originally known as Cei Maes, Field Quay, Cemaes is situated on the river Wygyr, which flows from the Parys mountain. It is a fishing port and tourist resort.
The village was known for producing salted herring between the 18th to 20th century. A nearby brickworks used a narrow gauge tramway to move products to the village for export. The pier was badly damaged in the storms of 1828 and 1889. It was repaired and improved by local businessmen.