The Cromford Canal ran for 14.5 miles from the village of Cromford by the mills to the Erewash Canal in Derbyshire.
The canal was built by William Jessop and Benjamin Outram, it was completed in 1794 and its construction included fourteen locks and four tunnels. The canal ran along the east side of the River Derwent from Cromford to Ambergate, then turned eastwards along the Amber valley. It crossed the valley using an aqueduct at Bullbridge, then turned towards Ripley. The Butterley Tunnel took it through to the Erewash Valley. From the tunnel the canal made its way to Pye Hill, near Ironville, and a branch of the canal made its way to Pinxton. It descended through the fourteen locks to meet the Erewash Canal at Langley Mill.
Today the canal is being restored by the Friends of the Cromford Canal. Brian Blessed is the president of the charity.
A 6 mile long section of the canal between Cromford and Ambergate is listed as a Biological Site of Special Scientific Interest and is a local nature reserve.