From The Neolithic To The Sea: A Journey From The Past To The Present
Dunskey Castle
Statistics
Category
County
Coordinates
Grid
Condition
Age
Admission
Castle
Dumfries and Galloway
54° 50′ 7.49″ N, 5° 6′ 35.54″ W
NX0030453396
Ruin
Mid 16th Century
Free
Map


  • History
  • Gallery
  • Gallery
  • Gallery
  • Gallery
  • Gallery
  • Gallery
Dunskey Castle is a ruined tower house, located close to the south of Portpatrick, Dumfries and Galloway.

The tower house was built in the mid-16th century for the Adairs of Kinhilt, who also owned the Castle of St John in Stranraer. The long wing to the north was added in the 1620's.

The defensive ditch on the landward side is all that survives of an earlier Adair Castle. First recorded in the 14th century, this castle was destroyed around 1500 by the McCullochs of Myrton and Cardoness. By 1700, the whole building was abandoned and left to ruin. It now sits derelict and is a tourist attraction.

Robert Louis Stevenson's novel Kidnapped, was filmed at the castle in 1951, as well as for the 1952 film Hunted.

Dunskey Castle is now a scheduled monument.