Easby Abbey is a premonstratensian monastery located on the eastern bank of the River Swale, close to Richmond in North Yorkshire.
The abbey of St Agatha was founded in 1152 by Roald, Constable of Richmond Castle, however, its early history is obscure, a community of priests may have already been established at Easby in Anglo-Saxon times.
The Premonstratensian order wore a white habit and were know as the White Canons. They followed a code similar to that of the Cistercian monks.
Like other northern monasteries, Easby was an easy target of the Scottish raids in the Middle Ages. The English Army billeted at the abbey while on its way to the Battle of Nevills's Cross, yet they did as much damage as the Scotts.
Henry VIII dissolved the monastery in 1536 and within two years the buildings were stripped and partly demolished.
The abbey is now in the care of English Heritage.