The Firth Brown Medical Centre is located in Sheffield, South Yorkshire.
Two companies in Sheffield were at the forefront of the steel and alloy industry at the turn of the 20th century. These were Thomas Firth & Sons and John Brown & Co. who went on to form Firth Brown Steels in 1930. They worked together in research and development, starting in 1903 when they swapped shares and formed the Brown Firth Research Laboratories. They went on to develop stainless steel in 1913.
Firth Brown Steels became one of the largest employers in Sheffield providing amenities such as this medical centre for its employees.
During the Second World War, Firth Brown produced over half a million armour piercing shells and bombs, over 60,000 tons of armour plate for ships and tanks, nearly half a million forgings and over 150,000 tons of special steels. The medical centre is built of thick re-enforced concrete, suggesting the construction is from around this time.
With in invention of the National Health Service in 1948, use of the Medical Centre declined until it was closed by 1973.
Firth Browns eventually became Forgemasters in 1982. Much of the Firth Brown works was demolished but the medical centre survived, possibly forgotten after its doors were sealed. Today it is totally hidden, with a carpark built on top.