Good luck Mine is a lead mine, located close to Middleton, above Via Gellia,which is a road constructed to connect the lead mines to a new lead smelter at Cromford, Derbyshire.
Lead mining has been carried out in the Middleton area since Roman times. As the deposits close to the surface ran out, miners drove long levels into the hillside, or sank deep shafts to find the richest deposits.
As the shafts were sank lower into the ground, the miners encountered water, halting progress. The solution was simple, dig a drainage level from the lowest point in the valley, to a point just below the workings into the water table. This lowered the water table allowing work to continue.
Good Luck Mine was opened in October 1830 by John Alsop, who died soon after in 1834. His agent, Roger Knowles, drove the level into the hillside to intersect the Goodluck Vein. This was being worked on by two other mines, the Moor Jepson Mine and the Dales Founder Mine. Eventually they all linked up underground and were consolidated into the Good Luck Mine.
By the 1900's the the mine was abandoned, after the price of lead dropped due to cheaper imports into the country. The mine was reopened during the First World War between 1914 -18. In the 1920's and 1930's, the mine was again worked but mostly for barytes. By 1952 the mine was again abandoned.
The mine was re-opened by Ron Amner in 1970 with assistance from members of the Peal District Mines Historical Society. Today the mine is run by the Goodluck Mine Preservation Club.