Grimsby is a large town and seaport located on the south bank of the Humber Estuary, in Lincolnshire.
Evidence of a small Roman town has been found close by, dating to the 2nd Century. In the 9th century it is thought that the Danes built a settlement here. The Domesday Book lists that Grimsby had a population of 200, including a priest, as well as a mill and a ferry.
During the 12th century, Grimsby developed into a fishing port, its charter granted by King John in 1201. A ditch was dug to protect the village from raids, but the village was too small to have stone walls. Silting of the harbour in the 15th century caused the decline of Grimsby.
In the late 18th century, an Act of Parliament formed the Great Grimsby Haven Company for the purpose of widening, deepening, alternating and improving the Haven of the town and port. Because of this, the town grew rapidly and the port was used to import iron, timber, wheat, hemp and flax. New docks were built to cope with the growth of the trade. A rail link was built in 1848, which helped Grimsby become a hub for exporting coal. Also the rail link enabled Grimsby fish to be sold in the London Markets.
During World War II, minesweepers were based at Grimsby to patrol the North Sea. The Patrol lost more vessels than any other branch in the Royal Navy. The town was also attacked by the Luftwaffe in June 1943. The HMS Grimsby is a Sandown class minehunter, commissioned in 1999.
After the war, Grimsby was again in decline, many Grimsby companies stopped using the town for trawling due to pressures placed on them because of the cold war.
The Ross Group concentrated in other industries with in the town, such as food processing. A 1950's trawler, the Ross Tiger, is located next to the Fishing Heritage Centre. The former Humber ferry, the PS Lincoln Castle, was moored in Alexandra Dock and used as a pub and restaurant. She was Britains last coal fired paddle steamer and sadly she was scrapped in 2010.