Housesteads Roman Fort is a ruined auxiliary fort, located on the remains of Hadrians Wall. Originally the fort was known as Vercovicium, Borcovicus, Borcovicium, and Velurtion but today it is named after the 18th century farmhouse built close by.
The fort was built using local stone at the same time as Hadrians wall. Construction began in AD124 at Turret 36B, overlying the original broad wall foundations. It was repaired and rebuilt several times as its northern defences were prone to collapse. A civil settlement was built out side the fort soon after construction was completed.
The site was donated to the National Trust in 1930, and currently in the care of English Heritage.