Kelvedon Hatch Secret Nuclear Bunker is located near Kelvedon Hatch, Essex and was designed to be used and maintained during the cold war as a potential regional government headquarters.
Formerly part of the Raf Rotor air defence project, the bunker became a Regional Seat of Government. This meant that in the event of a nuclear war, the local government could still operate in relative safety and organise the survival of the population and continue government operations.
The Raf Rotor defence project was a short term program to harden and improve the air defence network across the country. The bunker was originally built in 1952 as a R4 Sector Operations Centre to provide emergency command and control for the London sector of Raf Fighter Command. The roll of the bunker changed in the 1960's when the home office took control of the bunker and maintained it to provide an emergency shelter for the local government.
In 1992 the bunker was decommissioned as the cold war came to an end. The bunker was sold back to the original land owners who turned it into a Cold War museum.