Leawood Pump House is located on the Cromford Canal, close to the High Peak Junction near Matlock Bath, Derbyshire.
The pump house was built in 1849 to supply water from the River Derwent to the Cromford Canal. It sits by the tow path, drawing water from the Derwent via a 150 yrd tunnel, feeding a reservoir in the basement. The pump lifts the water 30 ft to discharge it into the canal.
The pump is a Watt styled beam engine, it was designed and built by Graham and Company of Milton Works, Elsecar, Sheffield.
The beam is 33 ft long, the piston is 50 ins in diameter with a stroke of 10 ft., 7 strokes a minute. The boilers powering the engine were replaced in 1900 with steam train boilers.
The pump houe was closed in 1944 when the canal was no longer in use, it was restored in 1979 by the Cromford Canal Society and is run every bank holiday. The pump house and engine is now Grade II listed.