Linacre Reservoir is located close to Cutthorpe and Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
The lower reservoir was built first in 1855 followed by the upper reservoir in 1865. Due to the increased water consumption of Chesterfield a middle reservoir was inserted between the existing two bodies of water in 1904. Between them they hold over 240 million gallons of water from the River Derwent.
In 1909, a sand filtration and chlorination plant was installed. Sediment in the water was filtered out as it passed through the sand and Chlorine added to kill any bacteria left in the water.
The reservoirs are managed by the Severn Trent Water Authority for visitors and wildlife but no longer use the water for drinking purposes since 1995. They are surrounded by fields and bluebell woods. Popular activities include wildlife watching, walking and cycling.