Lindisfarne Castle is located on Holy Island, Northumberland. More fort than castle, it was built on the highest point of the island, Beblowe hill and is only accessible from the mainland at low tide.
The castle was built in 1550 using stone from the dissolved priory. Lindisfarne was vulnerable to attacks from the Scottish until 1603 when James VI became king, The castle became redundant but a small force of men was stationed in there until the late 1900's.
The castle became the property of Edward Hudson in 1901 and turned the castle into a home. Edward was the owner of Country Life magazine.
The castle became the property of the National Trust in 1944 and it is open to the general public.