Lindisfarne Lime Kilns are located close to Lindisfarne Castle on Holy Island.
The kilns were built by a Dundee firm in the 1860's, producing quicklime
for use as fertilizer, mortar and limewash. Production of quicklime was carried out all over the island, but this was the largest site. Horses would bring in freshly quarried lime in wheel tubs, form the quarries on the north of the island, coal would come from Dundee via ships moored by the wooden jetties. Labourers would layer the coal and lime into the kilns from the top, then set it alight from the bottom. The burnt lime would be drawn out of the bottom of the kiln, then taken back to the ships for export.
The kilns closed in the late 19th century. It was becoming far too expensive to import coal and export the quicklime via ship, the railways were providing a faster and cheaper alternative.
Today the kilns are in the care of the National Trust and are open to the public.