Melton and District War Memorial Hospital is located in Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire. It was converted into a hospital from an old mansion given to the town.
The hall was originally called Hill House when it was built by Mr Hind in the mid 1700's, but when it was bought by Colonel Charles Wyndham in 1840 he promptly changed the name and called it Wyndham Lodge.
Wyndham Lodge was sold to William Chaplin in 1870 but he soon grew tired of it. In 1867 he demolished Wyndham Lodge and had it totally rebuilt it into a mansion using Wartnaby stone which was completed in 1874.
Colonel Richard Dalgliesh from Asfordby bought the house and 15 acres of woodland in 1920. He gave the land and the house to the town for use as a hospital and it became the Melton & District Cottage Hospital. It was soon renamed to honour the dead in the Great War and became the War Memorial Hospital. The grand opening was in 1922 with HRH Prince Henry doing the honours.
The hospital was absorbed into the National Health Service in 1948 and provided a number of essential services until it closed sometime in 2002 as a new larger and more modern hospital was built.
The memorial plaque once housed within the hospital, is now housed by the Royal British Legion following the closure of the hospital.