Mull of Galloway Lighthouse is a lighthouse located on the southern most point of Scotland, in the Rhins of the Galloway peninsula, Dumfries and Galloway.
The lighthouse was built by engineer Robert Stevenson in 1830, a round tapered tower, 85ft high. It is 325 ft above sea level and has a range of 28 nautical miles.
During World War II, on 8 June 1944 at 7.30 pm, a French member of the British Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA), Cladius Echallier, died by striking the Lighthouse in a Beaufighter, while making a low landfall from the Irish Sea.
The lighthouse isactive and now automatic, with a powerful LED light replacing the old high powered lamps and lenses. The outhouse has been converted into a visitor centre, run by the South Rhins Community Development Trust who are a group of local people and businesses. In 2013 there was a community buyout and the Mull of Galloway Trust purchased land and buildings, with the exception of the tower, from Northern Lighthouse Board.
The lighthouse and lighthouse keepers' houses are designated as a Category A listed building.