Newstead Abbey was an Augustinian priory and is located between the village of Newstead and Ravenshead in Nottinghamshire.
The priory was founded by King Henry II in the year 1163 and dedicated to St. Mary. It was extended in the 13th century with the Prior's Lodgings and again in the 15th century when the Great Hall and Dorter were added.
The priory was dissolved in 1539 and the following year, Henry VIII granted the priory to Sir John Byron, who then converted the priory into a country house. This house was restored by poet George Bryon, around 1800. Later it was extended by John Shaw for Colonel Wildman in 1819.
In 1862. William Frederick Webb, an African explorer, friend of Dr. David Livingstone, made further alterations. His grandson sold the former priory to Sir Julien Cahn, who presented it to the Nottingham Corporation in 1931.
The Abbey is now publicly owned, by Nottingham City Council, and houses a museum containing Byron memorabilia.