Oak Hurst House or Oakhurst hall is located in Ambergate, Derbyshire and is built in a very attractive woodland spot overlooking the river Derwent. It is abandoned and lies in a ruined state.
Built in 1848 by Francis Hurt, a politicain, who lived in Alderwasley Hall. It was enlarged later for Richard Johnson, who built the wireworks nearby in the valley.
Oakhurst was one of a series of large houses built in the Derwent valley as the area prospered due to the railways and canal system.
In the early 20th century it became a Diocesan Retreat House, and then around the 1970s it was converted into flats which unfortunatley were never fully ocupied. 1985 the company that owned it went bankrupt, and since then it has been abandoned. The charity 'Save Britains Heritage' have tried to find a new use for the house in the past, and it may still be an active case of theirs.