Old Sarum Castle
is a motte and bailey castle built on an earlier hillfort, located close to Salisbury in Wiltshire.
Old Sarum is one of the earliest settlements of Salisbury in Wiltshire consisting of a hillfort with evidence of human habitation from 3000 Bc.
The motte and bailey castle was built in 1069, three years after the Norman
conquest and is listed in the Domesday Book as Sarisburia. Additions to the castle were made by King Henry II, between 1170 -79. Repairs were made in 1201 - 1208 and again in 1247.
The importance of the castle declined in the 13th century. Salisbury was expanding around the new cathedral built out of the conflict between the castle and the ecclesiastical authorities at Old Sarum.
The castle was again repaired during the 14th century but was no longer needed and demolished by 1514.
Old Sarum in now open to the public and in the care of English Heritage.