Palterton is a small mediaeval village near Bolsover, Derbyshire. It is set out in the classic Back Lane and Main Street layout for easy access to both the front and rear plots.
The village started life in the Anglo-Saxon period, although archeological finds in the area show it was settled much earlier. The Romans also mined lead close by. The original village stood below the current site, on and below the escarpment. The owner of the land was Wulfric Spott, who founded Burton Abbey.
In 1349, the Black Death arrived in Derbyshire, although it affected most of the area, the people recovered very quickly. The plague returned in 1362 and devastated the village. No tenant survived and the village and land were abandoned for about 25 years.
Life slowly returned to the area with the village being rebuilt. This time, however, it was built on top of the ridge of the escarpment. These tenants were able to obtain long leases with low rents.
In 1726, the village fields were subject to the enclosures act. The old mediaeval strip system was replaced with large enclosed fields which increased productivity.
In 1882, the village changed when mines were opened in the area.
The village of Palterton now has no shops, blacksmith, post office or pubs. Only one farm survives, when there used to nine.