Peveril Castle is in Castleton, Derbyshire. It stands on a hill overlooking the village, a borough of the castle.
The castle was built around 1071 by William Peveril on a limestone ridge overlooking Hope Valley. It complements a prehistoric bronze age hillfort called Mam Tor which is on the other side of Hope Valley. It was not the first castle in the area, a motte and bailey castle has been found at Hope, a village east of Castleton but it was soon abandoned in favour of Peveril Castle.
William Peveril was given control of Nottingham Castle in 1068 to put down revolts in the midlands and by 1086 held large estates in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. He built his castle at Castleton on top of Pecheser's or 'Devils Arse' out of stone, unusal at the time as most were made of wood first then rebuilt out of stone.