Pleasley Vale is located near the village of Pleasley, north of Mansfield. It is a narrow wooded valley and is now a nature reserve.
The valley was formed by the river Meden, which cut through the underlying Magnesian Limestone several million years ago. Evidence of occupation can be traced back to Paleolithic times.
Today a small stream runs through the Vale, feeding a couple of large mill pond. The valley was home to two forges and a corn mill dating back to at least 1767, which were powered by the river. Later cotton mills were constructed. Houses for the workers and one for the manager were built close by. From 1890, the mills produced
Viyella, which is a mixture of cotton and merino wool.
Industry in the valley began to decline in the 1960's, the workers cottages were demolished, followed by the baths and the Mechanics Institute. Production moved abroad in 1987 and the mills closed. Bolsover district council bought the mills for £1,000 and restored the mills into working units.