RAF Binbrook is a former Royal Air Force station, located close to Binbrook in Lincolnshire. The married quarters have become the village of Brookenby.
The airfield was first built in 1940, during the Second World War for Bomber Command and became home to No 12 Squadron flying Vickers Wellington bombers. It closed in 1942 for the installation of three concrete runways. When it reopened in 1943, the Royal Australian Air Force moved into the site.
After the war, Raf Binbrook became home to Gloster Javelin all weather fighters, as well as the first Electric Canberras and Gloster Meteors.
In 1965, the English Electric Lightnings of 5 Squadron came to Raf Binbrook. On the 8th September 1970, Captain William Schaffner took off from Binbrook in a Lightning and was lost over the North Sea. Three weeks later the plane was located on the sea bed.
No. 5 Squadron was re-equiped with the Tornado F3 in 1988 and Raf Binbrook was closed soon after. It continued as a relief landing site for Raf Scampton until the mid 1990's. It was sold off for redevelopment and the control tower and fire section were demolished in 1995.
Today it is used for offices and an industrial estate. The runways are used for storage of ex military equipment awaiting resale.