RAF Coningsby is a Royal Air Force base located close to Tattershall near Horncastle in Lincolnshire.
The Air Force Base was opened in 1940 as a bomber station, then upgraded with hard runways in early 1943 for heavy bombers. Lancaster were stationed here in 1944. In November of that year, 61 Squadron were equipped with Tallboy bombs and sank the Tirpitz. During the war, a total of 175 aircraft were lost.
After the war, Mosquito based Squadrons were based here. The first jet aircraft, the English Electric Canberra were sent to RAF Coningsby in 1953. In 1956, the base expanded including the runway. Avro Vulcans were stationed here in 1962-64. After this, the base was upgraded to receive the new advanced Bac TSR-2 fighter aircraft. Sadly this was cancelled for economic reasons in 1965 and replaced by Phantoms. These were replaced by the Tornado in 1984.
The Queen visited RAF Coningsby in 1976.
The Eurofighter Typhoon was stationed at the base in 2005 and is currently home to four squadrons.
RAF Coningsby is home to the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.