Ravenscar Chain Low Radar Station is the remains of a WWII radar station, located close to the cliff edge with a commanding view of the sea, at Brent Rigg, Ravenscar.
The radar station was built in 1941, by the British Army, known as M47, to monitor shipping and aircraft during the Second World War. It comprised a brick and concrete operations block with an aerial gantry mounted on the roof and a separate standby set house for the reserve power. The site was upgraded by the Royal Air Force in 1942 and fitted with a radar to become a Chain Home Extra Low station, redesignated site K47.
The radar equipment was housed in a reinforced concrete structure known as the Transmitter and Receiving block (TX/RX). South west of this block are 2 smaller buildings. The southern structure is a concrete building which housed the electric generator. The northern structure is brick built with a cement render and was the fuel store. South east of the TX/RX building is a Nissen hut containing a number of original fittings.
North east of the TX/RX building is a small concrete platform which represents the footings of a structure of unknown function. Adjacent to the railway track lie the foundations of 5 buildings. These are interpreted as barracks built to house the station crew. North of this group are the footings for a further 5 buildings, which may have included a mess hut, the station commander's accommodation, offices and stores. The latrine blocks lay 40 metres north of the administrative buildings and survive as the footings of 2 small structures.