Ravenscar Railway Tunnel lies on the former Scarborough & Whitby Railwayline, located at Ravenscar in North Yorkshie.
On 16th July 1885, the Scarborough & Whitby Railway opened, forming a link between the two towns across the challenging terrain of the east coast.
The railway line entered the tunnel at Ravenscar where the line's 631-foot summit was reached. The tunnel is 279 yards long, which curves to the west. Construction of the tunnel involved making significant alterations to a prevouis tunnel driven in 1873, which was not on the right alignment and the strength of the original tunnel was in doubt. Mapping evidence suggests that a short extension was added at the north end.
The line was closed under the Beeching Axe, passenger services ended on 6th March 1965. Attempts to secure the line for preservation purposes failed but the trackbed was turned into a footpath in 1985, it is now called the Cinder Track. Sadly the footpath bypasses the tunnel and resumed at Ravenscar Station. The tunnel is now abandonned.
Ravenscar Railway Station was opened on the 16th July 1885, but was originally known as Peak, although it was renamed Ravenscar on the in 1897. Originally there was only a single platform and a siding, but a second platform was added in 1908.
The station was at the top of a steep incline, a 1-in39 climb froim both the north and south. The North Eastern Railway closed the station for a year in 1895 until Scarborough & Whitby Railway built a station house.
The 1956 Handbook of Stations listed Ravenscar as being able to handle general goods only, as there was no crane at the yard. A camping coach was also in situ until the autumn of 1963.
The station was closed on 8 March 1965. Freight traffic had already ended on 4 May 1964. All the buildings, except the up platform, were been removed.