Richmond is a large market town in North Yorkshire located on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales National Park.
Richmond was founded in 1071 by Breton Alan Rufus, on lands granted to him by William the Conqueror. The castle at Richmond was completed by 1086, its walls enclosed the market place.
Richmond was held by the Dukes of Brittany until 14th century when the last Duke died in 1399, Henry IV took possession. In 1453 the earldom was given to Edmund Tudor and then to Henry Tudor in 1485.
David Leslie, Lord Newark took over the castle during the English Civil War.
The town was prosperous in the 17th and 18th centuries due to the growth in the wool industry and the lead mining industry nearby in Arkengarthdale.
At the end of the 18th century, some soldiers found an entrance to a tunnel underneath the castle keep. A regimental drummer boy was sent into the tunnel and told to walk along the tunnel and beat his drum so that above ground the soldiers could follow the noise. After 3 miles the sound stopped unexpectedly. This was never explained until centuries later, when people now think that the roof of the tunnel collapsed and caved in on top of the drummer boy.. Today a stone marks the spot the noise stopped. The entrance to the tunnel is still there, but is forbidden for anyone to go in.
During the First World War, the nearby grammar school was used as a hospital for wounded officers.
The Georgian Theatre Royal was founded in 1788 by actor Samuel Butler. It closed in 1848 and the building was used as a warehouse. In 1963 the theatre was restored and reopened and a museum was added in 1979.