Roche Abbey is a ruined abbey located in a valley close to Maltby, in South Yorkshire.
The abbey was founded in 1147 by Richard de Busli and Richard Fitz Turgis who donated land either side of the river to the Cistercian monks. Most of the buildings were complete by 1172.
The records for the abbey were destroyed so little is known of life at the abbey. By the time of the dissolution in 1538 there were 14 monks in residence. The local community at time of dissolution decided they had first right of claim on Roche Abbey and its possessions. A very detailed account exists citing the terrible destruction of the abbey and its valuable artefacts. Timber, lead and stone were also removed in vast quantities.
The remains of the abbey were given a make over by Capability Brown in the 18th century, when the Earl of Scarborough decided to create a park. He demolished some of the remaining buildings, built large earthen mounds and turfed the whole area. Until the end of the 19th century Roche Abbey remained buried beneath Brown's landscape. The abbey was excavated in the 1920s.
The site is now in the care of English Heritage