Seahouses is a village located on the North Northumberland coast.
Originally the village was called Sunderland but changed it's name to North Sunderland to save confusion with the town of the same name in County Durham. As the herring industry became more important, the sea-end houses by the harbour were built to process the catch. The sea-end houses were initially quite separate from the North Sunderland community but expanded and they became one. The name was finally unified as Seahouses.
Lime was exported from the village, it was quarried close by and taken to kilns on the harbour, which were built in1768. The last shipment of lime from Seahouses was in 1858 Most of the output was taken away by ship. These kilns were substantial structures, they survive to this day. They have been hollowed out and roofed over to provide storage facilities for the local fishing boats.
Today Seahouses main income is from the tourist trade. The village is close to the Farne Islands, Alnwick and Bambough castles. The harbour is still in use as a working fishing port as well as the embarkation point of visits to the Farne Islands.