Skipton Castle is located in the town of Skipton, North Yorkshire.
The castle was built in 1090 by Robert de Romille, in the style of a motte and bailey, then later it was rebuilt using stone. It was held by the De Romille family until 1310, when the de Romille line died out. The castle was awarded to Robert Clifford by Edward II.
Robert Clifford ordered many improvements to the castle, but died in the battle of Bannockburn in 1314.
In Civil War period the castle was the only Royalist stronghold in the north of England until late 1645, when the Royalists surrendered. Cromwell had the castle slighted. After the civil war, the castle was repaired and a Yew tree was plantedin the central courtyard, by Lady Anne Cliffor.
Today the castle is a private residence, although parts of the castle are open to the public.