St Michael's Mount is a small tidal island in Mount's Bay, close to Marazion in Cornwall.
Its Cornish name translates to "The Grey Rock in a Wood". Remains of trees have can be seen at low tides and have been radiocarbon dated to 1700 BC. This suggests the bay was once land and was flooded in the recent past.
St Michael's mount was a Cornish counterpart of Mont Saint-Michel in Normandy, France. It has the the same tidal characteristics and is the shame shape, but smaller. It was given to the Benedictine religious order of Mont Saint-michel by Edward the Confessor in the 11th century.
The island can be reached from Marazion by a man-made causeway of granite. It is passable between mid-tide and low-tide. At high tide the mount can be reached by boat.
Today the island is managed by the National Trust and the castle and chapel have been home to the St Aubyn family in the 1650's. The earliest buildings date from the 12th century.
St Michael's Mount is one of forty-three tidal islands that one can walk to from mainland Britain. Part of the island was designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest in 1995 for its geology.