Thirlwall Castle is located close to Hadrains Wall, on the banks of the River Tipalt, close to the village of Greenhead, Northumberland.
The castle was built by the Thirlwall family in the 12th century and later reenforced by John Thirlwall in 1330, using stone from Hadrians wall. Sir Percival Thirlwall was killed in the Battle of Bosworth, he was Richards standard bearer in the final charge.
In a survey conducted in 1542, the castle was reported in the ownership of Robert Thirlwall and in a good state of repair.
After Eleanor Thirlwall married Matthew Swinbourne in 1738, the castle was abandoned. It was sold to the Earl of Carlisle in 1748 and then left to ruin.
The Northumberland National Park Authority took over management of the castle in 1999.