Chatsworth House is a stately home located on the east bank of the River Derwent, close to Bakewell, Derbyshire. It is the seat of the Duke of Devonshire and has been the home to the Cavendish family since 1549.
Chatsworth House first was built in the 1560's as a Tudor mansion by Bess of Hardwick, although major alterations were carried out in 1687 and 1707. A north wing was added in the early 19th century. The house is set in expansive parkland backed by wooded hills rising to heather moorland.
Two Elizabethan buildings survive, the Hunting Tower and Queen Mary's Bower. The Flora Temple and the 1st Duke's Greenhouse survive from the 1690's. The stable block and bridge were built by James Paine in the 1760's.
Chatsworth has been selected as the Britains favourite country house several times.