Hartshead Power Station
is a derelict power station located in Heyrod, Greater Manchester.
The power station was opened in 1926 by the Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley and Dukinfield Transport and Electricity Board. It produced electricity using three Metropolitan-Vickers 12,500kW turbo-alternators generating at of 40Hz. Later that year the station's output was changed to the nationally agreed standard of 50Hz.
In 1935, a major expansion of Hartshead began with the first of three new Metropolitan-Vickers 30,000kW generating sets, followed by the second set in 1943 and the third set in 1950. The station's concrete cooling towers were constructed in the 1940s
Coal was delivered to the plant at Millbrook railway sidings
on the Micklehurst Line, situated on the opposite side of the Huddersfield Narrow Canal. The sidings were built in 1932 and had space to hold up to 130 12-ton wagons. Coal was fed into a hopper underneath the sidings before being transported on an enclosed conveyor belt which emerged high above the valley to cross the River Tame and canal before entering the station at a high level. The station was closed on 29 October 1979. It was demolished during the late 1980s, although part of the site is still used as an electrical substation.