Hastings Fishermen's Museum is located in an old mission chapel in Hastings, Sussex.
The museum opened in 1956 giving a new lease of life to the abandoned and war damaged Grade II listed chapel. It was used as an ordnance store during World War II. The Diocese of Chichester closed the chapel soon after the war, and by the early 1950s it was used for general storage by fishermen and traders on the beach.
St. Nicholas' Church was a small, simple mission chapel with little ornamentation. The Old Hastings Preservation Society was granted permission to use the chapel as a museum in 1955. They partly demolished one wall in 1956 so they could bring in a lugger to display inside. Photographs, paintings and many other relics relating to the fishing and maritime history of Hastings are displayed alongside the lugger.
A lugger is a type of traditional fishing boat. It is a small sailing vessel with lugsails set on two or more masts and perhaps lug topsails. The lugsail is an evolved version of the classical square sail.