are earthworks that stand on a spur of land a little to the north of the village. The castle was probably constructed in the later 11th- or 12th-centuries, and may be associated with Laxton's function as the administrative centre for Sherwood Forest. This administrative function ceased in 1232 and the castle had fallen into a state of disrepair by the late 13th-century.
The castle comprises a substantial motte with both inner and outer bailies, and a small additional enclosure attached to the western side of the inner bailey. A small subsidiary mound surmounts the motte. It is unlikely that this secondary mound is part of the original castle structure. Both it and a number of other alteration, additions and mutilation to the earthworks may date broadly from the16th and 17th-centuries, when the motte and bailey were incorporated into parkland surrounding a new manorial complex (started c.1520) built within the outer bailey of the castle.
The earthworks of a series of fish ponds occupy a small rectangular enclosure in the valley bottom immediately to the north of the motte. These are recorded on the terrace accompanying the 1635 map, and are probably those first mentioned in a charter of 1232. The 1635 map of Laxton shows the manorial buildings; comprising a three-gabled manor house, with stables, a brew house, dovecotes, a garden and orchards. Though no longer standing, earthwork traces of the manor house survive within the outer bailey. For more information please visit the castles own web site