Ragnall Hall is located in the small hamlet of Ragnall, close to Tuxford, Nottinghamshire.
It is unclear when the original hall was built but it is thought that the Croftes family constructed a hall on the site between 1368 - 1393. This hall was enlarged and added to through the ages. The Croftes were a wealthy family owning land and buildings all around the hamlet including a windmill which they leased out.
John Croftes died in 1451 and the estate, including the hall, was passed to the Neville family. They held onto the hall until 1621 when they sold the 'Manor of Ragnall' to William Reason for £2,700. William died in 1627 and left it to Robert Mellish. Robert was appointed High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire in 1634. He died in 1662 at the age of 63 passing the Hall onto his son, Reason Mellish.
Charles Mellish inherited the hall in 1696 but when he died in 1713 his wife became Lord of the Manor until she died in 1742. She presented the church with a set of altar plates just before she died.
The Mellish family sold the Hall to Samuel Crawley around the late 1780's. The Hall passed though several hands after he died until bought at auction by Mr Angersteine.
The Hall was in a poor state by 1828, much of it was pulled down and a new Hall built. A contemporary description lists the house as a 'roomy brick structure containing a large hall paved, a commodious dining parlours, a lofty drawing room and study, 8 bedrooms, 9 dressing rooms and a water closet; proper apartments for several servants and convenient for domestic offices of every kind - a dwelling of no inferior order'.
Today the Hall is again falling into disrepair, it is used for storage by the local farmer. Much of the roof is damaged and decayed, the walls and floors are rotting away.