Record Marples Tool Company is located in Sheffield in South Yorkshire. It made popular hand tools and vices until they relocated.
In 1898, two brothers, Charles and Joseph Hampton, arrived in Sheffield and set up a foundry to make tools. The brothers soon fell out and Joseph went back to Wednesbury from where they came. Charles continued on with the company and in the 1900's his sons joined the business. C & J Hampton became a limited company in May 1908 and one year later they registered the Record trademark.
They produced engineering and woodwork vices, G clamps, T bars, pipe cutters, Stillsons and lifting jacks. 1912 saw the company moving premises to Ouse Road. Charles Hampton died in 1929 and he two sons, Horace and Charles W Hampton became the joint managing directors. Expansion saw the company move again in 1936 to Bernard Road. In 1946 the company became a Record Tool Company Ltd to protect the Record brand. In 1963 they moved again to the Parkway Works in Sheffield.
C & J Hampton Ltd merged with William Ridgeway Ltd to form the Record Ridgeway Tools Ltd. This meant that Record had to take on the manufacture of wood boring tools.
A Swedish chisel and woodworking tool company, AB Bahco, bought Record Ridgway Tools in 1981. It was renamed Record Holdings in 1985 and renamed again in 1988 to Record Marples Woodworking Tools Ltd.
The 1990's saw more name changes, Record Tools in 1991, Record Holdings Plc in 1993 and back to Record Tools Ltd when it became part of the American Tool Company in 1998.