Sandsend is a fishing village next to Whitby, North Yorkshire
What is now Sandsend was originally two villages, Sandsend and East Row, but were joined when extra cottages were built for workers in the alum industry. A large part of the western side of the village, known as The Valley, is still owned by Mulgrave Estate, it is one of the most expensive areas to buy property on the Yorkshire Coast.
Sandsend used to have a railway station, which opened in 1883, was part of the Whitby, Redcar and Middlesbrough Union Railway, which bought in tourists to the village. The station closed in 1958.
The village is birthplace of the fishing magnate George Pyman.
Fossils can be found on Sandsend beach and the surrounding area has been a regular haunt for palaeontologists but also archaeologists have found historical artefacts.