St Michael at the North Gate is a church, that was located at the North gate, in the old city wall, in Cornmarket Street, in central Oxford, Oxfordshire.
The church was originally built between 1000 - 1050, the tower was constructed in 1040, making the church the oldest building in Oxford.
The Oxford Martyrs were imprisoned in the Bocardo Prison, located by the church before they were burnt at the stake in what is now Broad Street, in 1555 and 1556. A cell door can be seen on display in the church's tower.
The architect John Plowman rebuilt the north aisle and transept in 1833.
A ceremony, called 'beating the bounds', is held each year on Ascension Day to mark out the boundary of the parish. This is led by the vicar, parishioners process around the old boundary stones of the parish, the vicar places a cross in chalk on each, and then church wardens hit the stones with wands made of willow, shouting 'Mark, mark, mark!' as they do so.