Skipton is a market town in North Yorkshire.
The town was recorded in the Domesday Book in 1086. A motte and Bailey castle was built in 1090 by Robert de Romile. It was rebuilt in stone in the 12th century by William le Gros.
Skipton became a very prosperous market town, trading sheep and woolen goods. In the 19th century it became a mill town, with many mills being built. The canal linked the town to the major cities in the area.
Today, Skipton's economy is based on tourism, it is known as the gateway to the Yorkshire Dales.